Sunday, May 17, 2015

Banana Poppy Seed Cake

Simple cakes such as this banana poppy seed cake are good recipes to have in your back pocket just in case you need to whip together a quick dessert sometime. What I like about this cake is that it is a little different than the typical everyday cake. Bananas and poppy seeds are not ingredients I often use in my desserts. Although I do bake with bananas a lot, I usually don't use them in my cakes such as this one which is what initially intrigued me about this recipe. The combination of tender banana scented cake paired with the slightly bitter crunch from the poppy seeds came together in a perfect pairing making this cake a winner. Although this time I opted to pass on the cream cheese frosting that the original recipe called for, I'm sure it would be wonderful atop this cake, making it just that much more special. 

The bananas as well as a nice half cup of sour cream keep this cake moist and tender. A touch of butter is added for flavor and a little more richness and then finish it off with those cute and crunchy poppy seeds. It is a simple combination that works wonderfully to turn out this simple cake that is just unique enough to make things interesting.









Banana Poppy Seed Cake
Adapted from The View From Great Island
Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup sugar plus 1 tablespoon
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/3 cup poppy seeds
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside. Cream the butter, 2/3 cup sugar and sour cream together. Beat in the egg, bananas and vanilla until smooth. 

Sift the flour mixture and poppy seeds into the wet mixture. Mix together just until just combined. Spread the batter into a greased 8-inch round cake pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. 

Bake the cake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick just comes out with just a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack. 

2 comments:

  1. I just love poppy seeds. They're nutritious and does a lot for our body. I want to try you recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppy seeds are great little additions to so many things I agree! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete