Sunday, September 6, 2015

Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

I had three very black bananas on my counter a few days ago that needed to be used. So when this banana oatmeal bar popped up on one of my recipe searches and called for 3-4 bananas, I knew what I needed to do. It was the perfect way to use those bananas up and provide me with a breakfast treat for the upcoming week. I love killing two birds with one stone! 

Another bonus; these bars are pretty healthy. Most of sugar comes from the bananas, with the addition of just a bit of brown sugar for a little extra sweetness. There is actually no wheat flour in these bars either, just oat flour that I made in my food processor. Chocolate chips and a few walnuts added in bring the whole thing together into a tasty and hearty bar. 


The original recipe called for 1/4 cup applesauce, but I rarely have applesauce in my house, so I just used an egg instead and it worked out just fine. It also used 1/4 cup maple syrup that I replaced with just a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. I cut back a little on the sugar, using only 2 tablespoons, but if you like things a little sweeter you can go ahead and use the full 1/4 cup.

I also didn't put tons of chocolate or walnuts into the bar, but feel free to use more if you want. It's really just a preference thing. Play around with it and find out what you like best!







Banana Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
Adapted From Lauren Kelly Nutrition
Ingredients

  • 2 1/3 cup (185 grams) oats, ground into flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 ripe bananas (14-15 ounces total)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2-4 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1.5 ounces chocolate chips
  • 1 ounces walnuts (optional)

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 8 inch square pan with baking spray and set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together oat flour cinnamon, soda, powder and salt. In a medium bowl, blend the bananas, vanilla, egg and brown sugar until well combined and mostly smooth.

Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and blend to combine. Add in the chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until evenly distributed. Pour batter into your prepared pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool completely and slice.


No comments:

Post a Comment