Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Sweet Honey Cornbread

It's been officially fall now for about a week. This is always a bittersweet time for me. I love summer, and I'm sad to see it go, but I do also love watching the changing seasons. My least favorite part of this time of year is the cooler weather because I am pretty much cold all the time, so it only gets worse as winter comes. However, one of my favorite parts of fall is the warm, comforting foods, the soups, stews and braises, the pumpkin bars and other tasty fall treats. These can help warm me up on a cold fall or winter night.
 
One of my favorite cooler weather dishes is chili, and what goes better with chili than some delicious corn bread. Corn bread is one of my favorite quick breads, I really need to make it more often! I'm partial to a sweeter and richer cornbread. For anyone who likes a coarser, Southern style cornbread this probably won't be what you're looking for, but for me it is perfect. Nice and moist due to a good amount of butter as well as some buttermilk, and sweetened with a little honey mixed with some brown sugar. It's the perfect combination in my opinion, perfect for the cooler fall weather, or anytime really!


This is a nice, simple recipe that is easy to whip together, and freezes well. I just cut it into squares and throw them in the freezer. When I need a little cornbread to complete my meal, I just pull out a square or two and let them thaw for a few minutes on the counter. Or, if you're in a hurry, pop them in the microwave for a few seconds on the defrost setting. Voila! A slice of perfectly delicious cornbread!






Sweet Honey Cornbread
Adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction
Ingredients
  • 1 cup (120g) cornmeal
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) butter, melted and slightly cooled
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (42 grams) honey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup (about 8 ounces) buttermilk
Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Grease and lightly flour an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan. Set aside.

Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the cooled melted butter, brown sugar, and honey together until completely smooth and thick. There should be no brown sugar lumps. Then, whisk in the egg until combined. Finally, whisk in the buttermilk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until combined. Avoid overmixing.

Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and the center is cooked through. Use a toothpick to test. Edges should be crispy at this point! Allow to slightly cool before slicing and serving. Serve cornbread with butter, honey, jam, whatever you like. Wrap leftovers up tightly and store at room temperature for up to 1 week.

No comments:

Post a Comment